The challenge goes on…
Nathan Mayer, our engineer, takes us on our latest additive manufacturing journey…
- Preparation is done, let’s make a clean 3D model!
“For the further operations, it’s important to have a clean 3D model with the missing volumes on the part well defined and smooth. Nothing difficult with a CAD software for an advanced designer. We need to extract to worn faces from the STL and “stretch” them to the initial dimensions.
Before any CAM operations, working parameters must be known and the quality of the deposited material checked. To set them, I will do a quick test to identify a window of working parameters with which we get:
- “Good” linkage with the support
- No defect (lack of fusion, crack, porosity, etc…)
- Constant deposit geometry
- Acceptable deposition rate (the key to have a fast operation…)
To check all of this, build samples are cut, polished, and etched to observe them under microscope. It will be also interesting to check to hardness “as deposited”, to identify any deviation from the material datasheet.”
Stay tuned for the next phase…